Background - Hotdiggityblog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tomato-Jicama Relish

I killed two birds with one stone today:  I tried a new vegetable and made a recipe from my dusty Clean Eating Magazine cookbook. I have been salivating over this flank steak recipe with a tomato-jicama relish since I got the cookbook.  Today was the day, we finally prepared it.  (I apologize for lack of pictures, the camera was not charged and well, we were starving when dinner was ready and just dug in.) 

Before we get to the recipe, a little about jicama:  According to the Clean Eating Magazine cookbook, "Jicama is the crunchy, sweet root of a legume and adds a zippy and exotic touch...  it provides great flavor without adding many calories."  I am all for great flavor with little calories!

The recipe:
1 cup of diced ripe tomatoes
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced jicama
1/4 cup diced white onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp honey

Combine in a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste.  It's that simple!

The result:  Delicious!  I thought the jicama took on the flavors on the bell pepper and onion and really didn't have a strong flavor of it's own.  I did notice the relish had a bit of a bite to it, so that may have come from the jicama, as we didn't add any heat ourselves.  It paired well with the grilled flank steak and we added white rice and grilled corn on the cob to round out the meal.  Very satisfying and bonus, we have left over relish for our grilled chicken tomorrow night. (Oh, maybe I can get a picture of the left over relish and post tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment