Background - Hotdiggityblog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

A new workout

My last post ended with me on a quest to find a workout or class that keeps me interested and engaged in exercise for a change.  Enter:  Slimmons, Richard Simmon's very own exercise studio in Beverly Hills, CA.

In the past month or so, I started following three bloggers who have been talking about working out at Slimmons and making it sound like the most fun sweating could ever be. ( Alexa, The Curvy Nerd, Heidi, Finishing The Hat and Kenlie, All The Weigh)  Not only do these incredible bloggers love Richard, everyone who has ever been to his studio love him too.  I looked up reviews of the classes on yelp and all reviews were 5 star rave reviews about the intense workout plus the a show, with an American weightloss icon, all for the low, low price of $12.00, and a drive out to the West Side.

So, to make good on my goal of stepping out my comfort zone and joining a class, I did, this past Saturday.  The first awesome part of my visit to Slimmons, was meeting Alexa and Heidi.  These are two really cool chicks, who were helpful and super supportive.  Giving me the low down of what to expect, how it works, and little tips and tricks to not collapsing during your first workout with Richard Simmons and how to recover afterward. And it didn't stop with just them.  Everyone was friendly, kind and welcoming.  I had never had that experience before at a gym.  I was caught a little off guard by it. (In a good way.)

I did two sessions, the first was a discussion group lead by Richard and the second was the actual Sweat aerobic class.  The discussion group was considerably smaller than the 100 or so group that shows for the Sweat class.  Richard greets each and every person with a hug and a kiss wants to know your name and if there was time, probably your life story.  He is engaging, genuine and all around fantastic person.  I was completely comfortable in the group and eek, was called on to explain why I was here and why I was finally making this commitment to myself. 

Immediately after the discussion ends, the music comes on and the Sweat class begins.  Everyone scrambles to their places while the doors open and the 60+ people standing outside waiting for the class to start comes flooding in.  I grabbed a spot in the back next to Alexa and NEVER STOPPED MOVING FOR 45 MINUTES.  That was just the aerobics part.  We break for a little water while we grab hand weights for toning and then follow that up with the floor exercises for abs and chest.  I had to modify  A LOT but I am happy to say, I made it through the class in one piece.  I couldn't do all the arm work with the weights and could only do 1/4 of the floor exercises because my arms were like jello by that point.  But I felt so good about my performance.  I am uncoordinated and had some trouble following the steps, but I did what I could and if I was totally lost, I just did my own thing so I could keep moving.
 
 I am not going to give away all the secrets of what happens at the class, because I want you to join us one day.  I will say this, check out the videos on You Tube.  They are clips of the classes he teaches and will give you an idea of the treat we experience in class.  Here is the link to the class I attended

I was happy I went.  I loved the people, Richard, and the whole experience.  I was excited to get there and thrilled when I left.  I want to make it a regular thing.  I am going to try my best to make the Tuesday and Thursday classes as well as the Saturday class.  Not sure how the weeknight classes will work out with traffic and Holly, but I am going to give it a whirl.  For sure, I will be there each Saturday.  Plus, I got to meet some uber cool people.  I could really get used to this.

PS - I wore my Body Bugg and burned 1100 calories from 9am - 2pm.  Which are the times I left and came home.  YES!  And I was only mildly sore the next day. 

4 comments:

  1. You did SO WELL at your first class! It was excellent to meet you, and I'm looking forward to seeing you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heidi! I am looking forward to seeing you guys again on Tuesday too. Finally, excited about exercise!! Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you went! It really was a great class -- I really loved the music this week. Your BodyBug stats are amazing, congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see it now. December 2012- You go on Oprah with Richard Simmons at 135 lbs. They show the before/after pics. Simmons breaks down & cries and gives you the biggest hug ever. The audience cries. Oprah cries. Everybody cries.

    ReplyDelete