Background - Hotdiggityblog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Meal Planning

I got a request from my old, dear friend, Stacy, to start posting my meal plans.  So, Stacy, this one's for you....

First off, here is a picture of the lunch I am eating while typing this blog.




This is a cobb salad from our "cafeteria".  It has romaine, tomato, avocado and bacon with a balsamic dressing.  I almost always eat this same salad on the days I buy lunch at work (like today).  Other days, I have lunch meetings, which are usually turkey sandwiches, with either chips or fruit (comes in the boxed lunch), or another fancier cobb salad from our exec dining room.  If I am really good, I bring something from home.

For dinners, I try to follow a formula of  1 chicken, 1 pork, 1 beef, 1 pasta and one big salad, snack or leftover night, which cleans out the fridge for grocery shopping the next day.  We go out to eat once a week, usually on Friday night or the night the cleaning lady was there.  (I hate to use my kitchen after she made it so sparkly clean :)   I don't eat seafood, so no fish or shrimp dinners, but the hubby and my mom are welcome to make it anytime they want.

I get bored with the same meals week in and out so I use Gina's Skinny Recipes, or my Clean Eating cook book or anything else that tickles my fancy, to inspire me with new ideas.  I like trying different marinades, new spices, etc.  The idea is quick, easy meals, that use as few pots or pans as possible.  For sides, we always have a rice, potato or pasta side on the meat nights and at least two veggies, which includes a salad or just two prepared vegetables.

This week's meals were/are:
Monday - Big salad and pizza night. (I wasn't home for this dinner, but I made up for it on Tuesday.)
Tuesday - Out to dinner (cleaning lady night woo hoo!)  I had a salad and a small personal pan pizza.   :)
Wednesday - Oven fried chicken tenders, mac and cheese, broccoli and salad.  (Gross chicken tenders.)
Thursday - Pork Fajitas (lots of peppers, onions & mushrooms), Mexican rice with mixed veggies and avocado.  (I can't wait.)
Friday - Pasta with squash, zucchini, eggplant, onion and any other veggie I can throw in it.  Topped with tomato sauce and a salad.
Saturday - Snacky night with won-tons, egg rolls and left over veggies.  Or French onion soup.  I haven't decided yet.

In the mornings I am sticking to my Starbuck's Perfect Oatmeal and in between snacks are usually fruit or cheese and crackers.   So there ya have it.  Not the most super exciting meal plan, but manageable for us during the week. 

What is your favorite go to week night dish?  How long do you usually take to prepare dinner?

1 comment:

  1. Can I stop by on Gross Chicken Tenders Night? :)

    ReplyDelete