Background - Hotdiggityblog

Friday, June 3, 2011

It is Time!

I admit, one of my issues with weight loss is managing to combine both nutrition and exercise in my day to day routine.  I have been doing one or the other this entire time.  I just couldn't manage to swing both.  I can honestly tell you sometimes, it is just impossible, other times, I am too tired or just plain lazy. Tell me, ladies, how do you manage full time jobs (at home or outside of the home), commuting, kids, chores, shopping, meal planning, getting a decent nights sleep, blogging and still manage to squeeze in exercise?  

Well today, at my Occupational Therapy session, we talked about how it is now time to do both.  I have pretty much mastered my nutrition, meal planning, etc.  Now I have to start incorporating the exercise.  No more excuses, no more delays.  It is time.

We learned that I have a hard time relaxing, which isn't relieving my stress, which triggers those cravings, which leads me to a battle of wills between me and that little voice telling me to eat cake.  My approach of jumping up for a quick activity to relieve the stress and walk away from the craving wasn't working.  She also suggested I take 5 minutes each day, to start, and do some meditation, followed by deep breathing and stretching. 

So my new plan of action this week:
Wake up, and meditate for 5min, followed by 5 minutes of deep breathing and stretching.
Walk/exercise for 30 minutes, eat breakfast and dress for work.
I need to reflect and see if those cravings disappear with regular exercise.  If not, then back to the drawing board.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. Sometimes life changes exist we know we want to make but find hard to get going. Just do it is a good approach. I think we are all guilty of putting off those things we know we should do ( of course we are thats how we put weight on in the first place)
    Good luck - i hope it goes well
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to do it all: eat well and exercise besides everything else. But the fact of the matter is we can do this. I like how you are going to focus on five minute intervals. Baby steps will get you started. Next thing you know you are up to 30 minutes a day and won't feel good unless the exercise is done each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do this! The meditation is great and does help. I wish there were easy answers and methods to all of this - it just has to be our new lifestyle. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete