Background - Hotdiggityblog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Weekend Update

Hi Everyone!  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  It was cold and rainy here in California and for some reason, the cold and rain puts me into spring cleaning mode.  We have been preparing for my mom who is moving in April 6th.  We managed to go through a lot of stuff in closets and in bins and sorted through what we are keeping and donating.  We sent a lot to storage and got rid of a lot.  Part of the donation pile was 6 garbage bags full of my old clothes.  These are clothes that are too small, too big, never looked good on me, etc.  I had decided that unless I absolutely loved it, can fit and wear it now, it must be donated.  I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  I never realized how much clutter and holding on to things I no longer need weighed me down.  There must be truth to that theory that clutter makes you sick, depressed, feel disorganized, etc.  It also made me sick to think about how much $$ I have spent on clothes that I never really liked.  I used to buy things to comfort me, when I didn't want to eat.  I guess at one point I was substituting comfort eating with comfort shopping.  When does my comfort eating or comfort shopping get substituted for comfort exercising?????

Eating has been challenging.  I am not eating slowly like I should.  Either I forget, or start off eating slowly and get bored or frustrated because it is taking too long.  This is going to be a challenge that I will keep working on this week.  I also noticed that no matter if I have a fridge stocked with fresh fruits and veggies, I still look for convenience foods instead of making something myself.  I want that quick, instant gratification, rather than taking the time to prepare a fresh salad or sandwich for lunch.  Why?  No clue, other than I just didn't want to have to make anything.  I am still asking myself why going to a drive thru is easier than making myself a turkey sandwich, but I haven't come up with an answer yet.  Good thing my husband was home to police me a bit and tell me no.  (Don't worry I gave him permission to do so.  LOL!)

The dog walking was put to a stop because of the constant rain this weekend.  I think I was able to balance it with all the movement I had to do while organizing stuff for storage oh and doing 10 loads of laundry.  (Yikes!)  Luckily the rain has stopped and I can get a walk in before bed tonight.

All in all, I think it was a good weekend and I am looking forward to a good week.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the instant gratification thing. I finally got in the habit of completely portioning out my veggies into containers at home, so when I need to make lunch I just throw the contents of one of the plasticwears into a steamer or grab it on the go so i don't even have to think! It took a while but I find I have a little time on the weekend to do this. And it makes the whole week easier. it has also been saving me bundles of money compared to eating out! I hope you find something that works for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to organize my house, too. It definitely feels good to get rid of things you don't need :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "comfort exercising" LOL! Seriously though! Right!

    Good job on doing the spring cleaning with your clothes. You'll need a whole new wardrobe by the end of the year anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate clutter. I really believe I have a visceral reaction to it. Wish I could convince my cluttering husband of that:)

    ReplyDelete