Background - Hotdiggityblog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

It's Thanksgibbing!!!

One year I decided to start pronouncing words as if a little 3 or 4 year old would.  Thanksgibbing came out one year and has stuck ever since.  Every year, I call my mom as soon as I wake up and in my  best little kid voice announce, very loudly... IT'S THANKSGIBBING!!! 

This was one heck of a great Thanksgiving.  This year I am most thankful for getting my mojo back.  I hope that doesn't sound too selfish or self centered.  I am thankful for the other stuff too, like my family, a healthy daughter, etc.  But I am really thankful I found my footing once again and am on the track to a healthier life.

As for our Thanksgiving activities:  My husband made an incredible meal (I made the stuffing and am on clean up duty.)  His sister is in town and she and I had a Twilight and New Moon marathon until my friend Hugo came over.  Then we went into over drive to get dinner ready and to sit down to a feast.

All week I have been reading about people's plan for Thanksgiving.  They would exercise in the am and after dinner, they would either prepare a super healthy meal, or if they didn't have control over preparation, they would watch portions.  I wasn't sure what I would do for exercise or about eating.  I would just wing it when the day came. 

For me, Thanksgiving dinner is about the classic meal my family has always prepared.  I wanted the same feast I have had for the past 33.9 years.  No skimping, no updating the recipes to a lighter/healthier version.  So, I enjoyed the classic meal, but I only had one plate and just a little bit of everything.  I filled my plate up first with all the veggie dishes then went for the heavier, richer foods.  I had the one serving, but could have eaten seconds. (I ate only a bagel in the morning and was starving.)  But I didn't.  Instead, I got up and started cleaning.  I felt good.  I was proud of myself.  For the first time, I was satisfied after the meal and could still move around and had energy.  It was amazing.  Later of course, I did enjoy two slices of pie... one of each flavor.  But I really think that would be it for the pie.  I got my fix and really have no desire for anymore.  Now, if it was chocolate cake or brownies, this would be a totally different post.

While I am proud of my choices and my self control, I didn't have a great food week.  My portions have been great, but some of my choice of food have been less than stellar.  Chicken salad sandwich, small bag of potato chips, 2 slices of pizza, M&M's, etc.  It hasn't been 100% bad though.  Lunch have been a small soup and salad, double fiber English muffin for breakfast, raisin bran, etc.  Exercise has been severely lacking too.  Not because I didn't want to but because of the same old reason - just short on time.  Today I had plenty of time, I just wanted a day of rest after a crazy week.  I just hope it doesn't hurt me too much on the scale on Saturday morning.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

1 comment:

  1. We call it "St. Gibbons" in my family, because we're weirdos.

    Congrats on your hard work! Hope we can root each other on.

    ReplyDelete